b. 1978 Hanover, West Germany.
BVA, BED (sec), Queensland University of Technology, 2003.
Lives and works in the Old Mining Town of Gympie. Qld.
From her childhood living on the rugged shores of England’s Isle of Wight to her current home in Gympie, a former gold mining town in like southeast Queensland, the forms and colours of the natural world deeply inform Whincop’s painting practice.
Intuition plays an important part in Amica’s creative process, particularly in the way she works with the unpredictable materials of water-based acrylics and ink. While she deliberately chooses her colour palette, the depth of hue and the textures of each painting are heavily reliant on spontaneity.
Once the colour process is complete, Amica weaves white paint around her canvas, isolating numerous gem-like shapes that appear to float across the surface. Eliminating areas that feel distracting or unnecessary is one of the most important aspects of her creative process. Harnessing the Japanese concept of “Ma”, meaning ‘interval’ or ‘the space between’, Whincop use’s white space to bridge chaos and calm, paring her work down to its simplest form, without losing its beauty and meaning. As a result, there is a meditative quality to her paintings, as if they have been distilled from chaos into a place of serenity.
Graduating from the Queensland University of Technology in 2003, Amica worked for several years as an art teacher before she began her full-time painting career. Her work features in several public collections including The Star Casino, Sydney and The John of God Berwick Hospital, , Sydney. Her paintings have been feautred on Grand Designs Australia, The Block, Channel 9, in addition to various private collections in Australia, Greece, Tokyo, The United States. Amica’s work Gorecki (2017) was a finalist in the Contemporary Art Awards (2018). Amica Whincop has held solo exhibitions in Adelaide, Sydney and Murrurundi, NSW. She has been profiled in publications including Grand Designs Australia, Art Edit, Australian Country Living & Home Design.
Held. Art Images Gallery, Adelaide.
Essence. Soho Art Gallery, Sydney
2017 Second Nature. BCM Crucible Gallery, Fortitude Valley
2017 Holding Space. Michael Reid Gallery, Murrurundi
Ten – joint exhibition. White Canvas Gallery, Brisbane.
Voyage – joint exhibition. Left Bank Gallery, Gold Coast.
The Other Art Fair. Sydney.
Christmas Exhibition. Art Images Gallery, Adelaide.
The Other Art Fair, Melbourne.
[6x6] -Group show. Metropolis Gallery, Geelong.
Dual Elements – joint exhibition. Left Bank Gallery, Gold Coast.
Ambience Store Project – feature artist. Newfarm.
Unchartered, the Space Between – joint exhibition. The Garden Haus, Maleny.
Taking it to the Edge – group exhibition. Gympie Regional Gallery.
Taste of Art – group exhibition. Noosa Art Gallery.
Rush Art Exhibition | Gympie Regional Gallery.
2019, Finalist, Art Lovers Australia Prize
The Star Casino, Sydney.
St John of God Berwick Hospital, Melbourne.
Anglicare Southern Queensland – Kirami Residential Aged Care
Stocklands, Nortlakes Retirement Village
Olympus Medical, Olympic Park, Sydney
Private Collections in Australia, Greece, Tokyo, Hong Kong, South America and U.S.A
Danielle Harvey, Second Nature, BCM Crucible Gallery | Exhibition Text
2018 Racy & Lucky Translating an artwork to a designer garment for a fashion shoot.
2017: Biocup Art Series
2017: Racy & Lucky Woman on the Land. Wearable
2016: Collab A nation – Live Artist Performances, Judith Wright Centre, Brisbane & Mary St, Gympie.
PRESS | MEDIA
- Art Lovers Australia Blog, There is Beauty in Simplicity. Sunnefa Hamar Penning. May 6. 2019.
- Australian Country Magazine, Bohemian Bliss, Jan 2019, issue 22.2.
- “...the creation of tranquil & intuitive abstract art..” Home Design Magazine. Vol. 1`.No.3,
- Grand Designs Australia, Series 7 Episode 11, Tallebudgera Valley Queenslander
- Grand Designs Australia Magazine, Issue 7.4
- Pastiche Magazine # 7, August 2018
- “Six Standout artists you need to see at The Other Art Fair” Art Edit Magazine. Summer 2018 Issue.
- “Expressions in Abstract” Gympie Living Magazine, June 2018.
- Seen on Channel 9, The Block 2017, Hallway Reveal. Commissioned work for ‘Ronnie & Georgia.’
- Channel 9 Postcards: Metropolis Gallery
- Home Design Magazine, Creative Selection, July. 2017
- “Discovering the Magic of Mess with Sunshine Coast Artist Amica Whincop” Style Media, Mar 2018
- Artist of the Month: Crowdink| Balance Between Chaos and Void | Apr 26, 2017
- Artist of the Month: ArtLovers Australia | May 5, 2017
- “How Come You Keep Painting Bubbles“, Insider Style, Mar, 2017.
- The Ambience Project #4: Indulge Magazine & Brisbane Art Guide | May 25, 2016
- “Art in Your House is a Reflection of Who You Are”, Insider Style,
- “New Artist on the Block,” Gympie
Times , Mar,2016
LECTURES / WORKSHOPS
Art Lovers Australia – Business of Art Conference. Panel presenter.
The Shape of Things to Come, Artist Talk – Guest Speaker – Noosa Regional Gallery, March.
Beautiful Chaos Workshop – Gympie Regional Gallery,
Painting Large: Workshop. Gympie Regional Gallery. July.
Explorations in Abstraction & Monochrome. Workshop Presenter. House of Artisan. Gympie. May.
Intuition & Abstraction – Workshop. Left Bank Gallery& Art Lovers Australia. Gold Coast.
Explorations in Abstraction. Workshop Presenter. House of Artisan. Gympie. May.
Intuition & Abstraction Workshop. Gympie Regional Gallery-June.
Art Battles. Whole School Interactive Abstract Art Workshop & Auction.